Title of job
Location of job
Washington, DC or Remote (East Coast only)
About BAO Systems
BAO Systems is an industry leader in digital data solutions for health and development. We empower our partners to implement scalable and sustainable solutions that uncover data-driven insights to improve livelihoods, strengthen health systems, and achieve equitable human development.
Our team comprises passionate public health and development practitioners, information system experts, software engineers, system engineers, monitoring and evaluation advisors, and data scientists. We excel in providing a broad spectrum of services and products. For more information, please visit www.baosystems.com
As a Postgres, Redshift, RDS, and Dynamo Database Administrator, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the success and growth of BAO Systems by managing, building, and maintaining the database infrastructure that our mission critical applications run on and transition our data platform to the next level.
- Manage and administer PostgreSQL database platforms
- Manage PostgreSQL backups and data archiving
- DBA experience supporting Amazon Redshift environments using Python or other scripting languages
- Provide database support and expertise to report writing, business systems, software development, and other IT functions
- Monitor job execution and server performance, and troubleshoot issues when they occur
- Work with other data, security and DevOps teams to implement and maintain source code, pipelines, and security best practices
- Action Oriented
- Discretion and trustworthiness: you will often be party to confidential information
- Quick learner, self-starter with strong troubleshooting and communication skills
- Strong customer service skills and ability to work in team environment
- Able to obtain at Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT) clearance
- Location: Remote- east coast preferred (EST)
- 5-6 years overall hands on technical experience
- 2+ years experience as a DBA
- 4+ years experience as a database developer or similar
- Python programming experience
- Knowledge of AWS, S3, EC2, DynamoDb, RDS, Redshift
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience with PostgreSQL (preferably on AWS RDS), AWS Redshift, AWS Aurora
- Familiarity with Redshift workload management
- Experience in establishing and evaluating performance benchmarks
- Experience with indexes and index tuning to improve query performance
- Experience using EXPLAIN/ANALYZE to tune queries and identify areas in need of an index
- Experience managing database configurations
- Experience handling version upgrades and validating rollback strategies
- Moderate understanding of various authorization models (native database, IAM for Redshift, separate IdP)
- Strong understanding of permissions management
- Familiarity with creating and optimizing stored procedures
- Understanding of various aspects of data modeling (schemas, normalization, warehouse structures)
- Experience documenting, testing, and enacting a disaster recovery plan
- Management of backup and restore procedures
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Experience designing and implementing monitoring plans (ideally integrating with services like AWS Cloudwatch and AWS SNS) to identify resource issues or query problems
- Moderate experience with Agile Scrum and Kanban
- Moderate experience with git and GitHub
- Experience evaluating and assisting with ETL/ELT processes
Why BAO Systems?
Make a positive impact on global public health while working in a fun, collaborative and flexible environment. We’re a nimble, close-knit group that values our teams opinion and contribution, allowing for everyone to make an impact to the work and company culture.
BAO Systems is the largest US-based DHIS 2 consulting and hosting firm in North America. We’re changing how Governments, NGOs and international agencies, collect, analyze and report their data and improve health outcomes in the developing world.
We’re truly a multinational company. Our HQ is in Washington, D.C., with staff in the UK, Norway, Portugal and Nigeria.
- Fun, relaxed work environment
- 401k with match
- Excellent health and dental coverage for team members and their families
- Short and Long-Term disability insurance (fully covered)
- Life Insurance (fully covered)
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Commuter benefit
- Flexible work schedules—work how you can be most productive
BAO Systems provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.